1948 Bentley Mk.VI DHC by Park Ward - £44,995
This is a wonderful 1948 Bentley Mk. VI Drophead Coupe by Park Ward, finished in Black over Silver with a Tan Leather interior and showing 13, 000 miles on the clock. She will be UK Registered and is ready for sale at a very attractive price point!
In 1946 Bentley Motors Ltd made a complete departure from their former production policy when they announced the introduction of an entirely new Bentley that was factory built throughout. The new car was fitted with a standard all steel bodywork design, finished and furnished at Crewe where Bentley production still continues to this day. The tried and tested 4,257cc six-cylinder engine was retained, fitted with a detachable aluminum alloy cylinder head with inserted valve seats. The engine was fitted to a frame chassis, which was riveted with cruciform center bracing and a box section pan to support the front suspension components. Lubrication was by way of a Bijur centralized system, operated by a foot pump situated just to the left of the steering column on right hand drive cars. It was advised that this pedal should be depressed once every hundred miles.
The manual gearbox had four forward gears with synchromesh on second, third and fourth gear. Despite the relatively high price tag when compared to other luxury cars available immediately after the war, the demand for this motorcar was substantial. The demand for the new car was so high that customers had to be put on waiting lists, which at times stretched to over three years.
Production lasted until 1952 with more than 5,000 chassis finding their way to lucky new owners, making it one of Bentley's most successful models ever. The vast majority of Bentley Mk VIs produced were fitted with the new standard steel coachwork from the factory, however keeping with tradition, special coach built bodies, such as this one, were also available upon request.
Accompanying copies of its chassis cards reveal that 'B-286-CF' was originally destined for The Cairo Motor Company for their stock. They ordered a particularly fetching Park Ward Drophead Foursome Coupe, finished in Metallic Light Mistletoe Green with Beige Leather Interior. They specified Park Ward to build the Drophead to their Design No.65, a particularly stylish option showing shorter front wings and sidemounted spares. Only 23 of this design were made by Park Ward. As it happened, this car never made it out of London as It was comandeered by Jack Barclay Ltd of Hanover Square in December 1948 and sold to its first owner, a Capt. James McNally of Uxbridge, Middlesex. Little is known of its early history but we do know the car found its way to the USA by 2004 in the hands of a Mr. Wagner. It was retailed at some stage by Pennington Enterprises of Edison, New Jersey and had found its way into one of the largest collections in the world, in Kuwait, by 2012. It has been on static display since then and will need thorough recommissioning before daily use.
She comes with all the Bentley Chassis Records and will aslo be UK Registered for the next owner. This is one of the most beautiful Convertible Bentleys ever made, she has an interesting history and is available at a very attractive price, just needing someone to invest some time to bring her back to her former glorious self. A wonderful project that hasnt been started and abandoned, just exactly as you would like to find it!